A virus a computer program that spreads or replicates by itself.
Preventing Virus Infection
- *We should avoid booting the computer with a pen drive. If it is required to boot from a pen drive, we should use a pen drive that is virus free.
- *We should not use pirated software. If the software has been obtained illegally it may contain a virus.
- *Update the antivirus software regularly so that it can detect and delete new virus.
- *We should not exchange our disk or pen drives with others. If we do so, we should always scan the disk or pen drive with an antivirus software before using it.
- *Always keep the Auto-Protect, Internet-worm Protection, and E-mail scanning features of Anti-Virus software ON to prevent downloading of the infected files.
- *One should always keep at least one set of back-up copies of all original disks. This does not prevent a virus infection but it helps in the recovery process if a virus corrupts the data.
- *Always check if your computer demonstrate any strange behavior like:
- Slowing down
- Disappearance of files
- Taking longer to load programs
- Presence of unusually large sized program files.
- Decrease in the free space available on the disk.
- Recent creation dates on old program files.
- Unusual display on the computer.